Successful project communications stand among the major challenges to a project’s success. Effective communication is essential and there are many ways to achieve this, but the hardest part is being able to measure the results.
Back in 1996, the Construction Industry Institute (CII) researched the relationship between communication effectiveness and project success. Based on the findings the Compass: Communications Project Assessment Tool was created. The tool enables project managers to assess team communications during the execution phase. The tool targets three project groups: project management, engineering, and construction.
What it is?
The tool is a series of surveys designed for specific roles. It takes the results of the surveys and scores them against six critical categories. The end result is a report and a Communications Effectiveness Score.
Six Categories of Critical Communications Issues
- Accuracy – The accuracy of information received.
- Timeliness – The timeliness of information received, including design and schedule changes.
- Completeness – The amount of relevant information received.
- Understanding – An understanding of information expectations with supervisors and other groups.
- Barriers – The presence of barriers that interfere with communications.
- Procedures – The existence of defined procedures outlining scope, methods, or other project concerns.
Why You need it?
There is a positive relationship between project success and effective communication. By measuring your project’s communication effectiveness often projects can improve communications. The tool provides the ability to identify specific weaknesses to improve. Communication scores can also be charted over multiple assessment periods, enabling trends.
- Identifies significant information and key variables.
- Parameterizes the project success and communication relationship.
- Determines the areas to improve.
- Setups a methodology and database for future monitoring.
Interested in solving your projects communications problems? Contact PTAG’s project professionals for an in-depth review of your communications plan and assessment using Compass.
Download the PDF for a one-page reference tool!
Compass Communications Project Assessment Tool
Click to download the free reference!